Friday, August 24, 2018

Chiappa RAK-22

Since I also have my posts of the AKT-98 and M10-22 parts comparison, I'm making a post with the Chiappa RAK-22.  Overall, glad to see another AKT-98/WASR22/RPK22/M10-22 platform rifle.  It has nice wood.  On the downside, the gas block and the rear sight block are roughly cast metal, but this should be perfectly fine on a .22LR.  It is still better than a Mossberg Blaze 47, GSG AK-47, or Armscor AK-22 in my opinion.  Biggest downside right now is that Black Dog Machine magazines will not fully seat with the rear mag latch not going forward but this doesn't seem to be just due to the rear mag lug.  Exploratory Dremel surgery is happening on the mags! This post is mostly so I can post a link at forums for the pictures, but if please post even a simple comment if you are an old reader and would still read things here.









4 comments:

  1. please let me know if you figure out the blackdog mag issue. I have a rak 22 and some blackdog wasr 22 mags hoping they would work. I've about destroyed one mag demilling the rear lug and as you said that doesn't seem to be the only issue. seems like something else is hitting. thought maybe extractor but I don't think so now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm in California I'm stuck with 10 Rounders , I'm willing to mod 1 AKT-98 mag in an attempt at fitment to RAK 22 . I will wait & see what others post on mag mods prior to my attempt . BTW how hard is it to change out Mag Catch / release to one closer to WASR 22 /AKT-98 ? I realize most of you are thinking BDM Highcaps but I really like the Steel body AKT-98 Mags and would be willing to rivet on a differing mag catch ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The steel body AKT-98 mags just plastic inserts in AK mag bodies. You might me able to do the same thing with the Chiappa mags dropped in. As I remember it, the AKT-98 mags used the standard metal lugs, so you would have to try either the original metal mag lugs or cut outs for the RAK-22 mags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 15 of the AKT-98 Mags for my 2 AKTs and one WASR 22 that all fit and function in those , I may sacrifice one for fitment to my RAK 22 (Especially if my old source has more ) BTW now I'm thinking of seeing if I can get one of my 2 RAK 22 Mags to work without mods in my Other Rimfire Romanians lol

    ReplyDelete